Aerospace Engineer and PhD in mechanical engineering with expertise in high-performance computing and machine learning. Keen at developing skills in computer vision techniques. A brief summary of expertise:
- HPC programming in
- Machine learning with
- CFD simulation with
- PIV experimental skills.
- Cloud computing, GPU computing.
- Administration of HPC system.
- CAD: Blender · CATIA
- CFD: FEniCS · Fluent · OpenFOAM
- Programming: C++ · MATLAB · Python · R · Shell
- Python Libraries (HPC): CuPy · Cython · Dask · H5py · MPI4py · Numba · NumPy · Pandas · SciPy
- Python Libraries (ML): PyTorch · Scikit-learn
- Python Libraries (Plotting): Dash · Matplotlib · Scikit-image
- Automation: Ansible
- CI/CD: Git (Github, Gitlab) · Travis CI
- Cloud: Amazon AWS (EC2)
- Container: Docker · Kubernetes · Sarus · Vagrant
- Database: InfluxDB · MariaDB
- Embedded: Arduino · Raspberry Pi · NVIDIA Jetson Nano
- HPC: SLURM
- Markup / Typesetting: Jinja · LaTeX · Markdown · MkDocs · Pandoc · Vim
- Monitoring: Grafana
- OS: Linux (Arch, Fedora, Ubuntu, Rocky Linux) · MacOS · Windows
- Web: CSS · HTML5 · Nginx
Academic & professional experience
Postdoctoral researcher — Empa (Zürich, Switzerland)
June 2019 — Present
- Application of machine learning in quantitative flow visualization.
- Supervised optical flow algorithms for PIV.
- Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN) in PyTorch.
- Additional responsibilities: Deputy Laser safety officer (LSO), deputy data management, Lab HPC support, and fluid tunnel support.
Scientific Assistant — ETH Zürich (Zürich, Switzerland)
May 2015 — May 2019
- Numerical and experimental research at Empa.
- Neutron radiography at Paul Scherrer Institut (PSI).
- Teaching assistant for Application of CFD in buildings.
- Supervision of master thesis project: Praharsh Pai Raikar
- Doctor of Sciences (Dr. sc.) — Mechanical Engineering
- ETH Zürich, Switzerland
- 2015 — 2019
Thesis: Impact of Vegetation on Urban Microclimate
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Jan Carmeliet
- Development of a coupled soil-vegetation-air-radiation model in C++ within the OpenFOAM library.
- Wind tunnel study of flow past model and natural plants using PIV.
- X-ray tomography of small natural plants and high-performance big data analysis in python (
- Master of Science (ir.) — Aerospace Engineering
- Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
- 2011 — 2014
Major: Aerodynamics and Wind Engineering
Thesis: Hybrid Eulerian-Lagrangian Vortex Particle Method: Developing a fast and accurate numerical method for the application of Vertical-Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT).
Advisor: Prof. dr. ir. Carlos Simão Ferreira
- Development of a high-performance numerical method in python with
cythonand GPU (CUDA) acceleration.
- Bachelor of Science (ir.) — Aerospace Engineering
- Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
- 2008 — 2011
Minor: Wind energy and Sustainability
Thesis: Designing a multi-purpose autonomous aerial monitoring aircraft.
- Design a UAV that can cope with severe weather conditions, while performing a variety of sensing and monitoring tasks.
- English (Native)
- German (Conversational)
- Malayalam (Fluent)
- Dutch (Basic)
- Outstanding Oral Presentation at 13th Symposium on Urban Environment, Jan 2017, Seattle, USA
- Young Best Research Award at 4th International Conference on Countermeasures to Urban Heat Island, May 2016, Singapore.
Publications & Presentations
- Manickathan, L., Mucignat, C., Lunati, I. (2022). Kinematic training of convolutional neural networks for particle image velocimetry. Measurement Science and Technology
- Manickathan, L., Defraeye, T., Carl, S., Richter, H., Allegrini, J., Derome, D., & Carmeliet, J. (2022). A study on diurnal microclimate hysteresis and plant morphology of a Buxus sempervirens using PIV, infrared thermography, and X-ray imaging. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 313, 108722.
- Manickathan, L., Defraeye, T., Allegrini, J., Derome, D., & Carmeliet, J. (2018). Parametric study of the influence of environmental factors and tree properties on the transpirative cooling effect of trees. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 248, 259-274.
- Manickathan, L., Defraeye, T., Allegrini, J., Derome, D., & Carmeliet, J. (2018). Comparative study of flow field and drag coefficient of model and small natural trees in a wind tunnel. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, 35(December 2017), 230–239.
- Manickathan, L., Defraeye, T., Carl, S., Richter, H., Allegrini, J., Derome, D., & Carmeliet, J. (2019). Unveiling dynamic changes in the diurnal microclimate of a Buxus sempervirens with non-intrusive imaging of flow field, leaf temperature, and plant microstructure.
- Palha, A., Manickathan, L., Ferreira, C. S., & van Bussel, G. (2015). A hybrid Eulerian-Lagrangian flow solver [Numerical Analysis; Fluid Dynamics]. 27.
- PhD thesis: Manickathan, L. (2019). Impact of vegetation on urban microclimate. ETH Zurich.
- Master thesis: Manickathan, L. (2014). Hybrid Eulerian-Lagrangian Vortex Particle Method. In Msc, Technical University of Delft.
- Manickathan, L., Kubilay, A., Defraeye, T., Allegrini, J., Derome, D., & Carmeliet, J.: Integrated CFD vegetation model with soil-plant-air water dynamics for studying the cooling potential of vegetation in an urban street canyon. 10th International Conference on Urban Climate/14th Symposium on the Urban Environment, New York, NY, USA, 6 - 10 August 2018.
- Manickathan, L., Defraeye, T., Allegrini, J., Derome D., & Carmeliet, J.: Conjugate Vegetation Model for Evaluating Evapotranspirative Cooling in Urban Environment. 97th AMS Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, USA, 2017.
- Manickathan, L., Defraeye, T., Allegrini, J., Derome, D., & Carmeliet, J.: Aerodynamic characterization of model vegetation by wind tunnel experiments. 4th International Conference on Countermeasures to Urban Heat Island, Singapore, 2016.